Summertime means days at the pool, road trips with the windows down and good old-fashioned barbecues. If you’re on sides duty for the cookout, spice up your potato salad with this recipe from KitchenAid. Not only is it healthier, but you’ll impress the guests by going homemade. Roll up your sleeves and get to work!
Pesto Potato Salad Recipe
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled
- 4 sticks celery, strings removed
- 1.6 pounds small waxy potatoes (such as small Coliban, Chats or Kipfler)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups arugula leaves
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt flakes
- Attach the work bowl to the food processor with the adjustable slicing blade. Slice the onion. Slice the celery. Remove the onion and celery, set aside.
- Slice potatoes.
- Place the potatoes into a medium sized saucepan, fill with enough cold water to just cover and season with the salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
For the pesto dressing
- Add half of the arugula, then the Parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon rind, juice and salt. Process until creamy yet slightly course in texture.
- Roughly tear the remaining arugula into smaller pieces. Combine the potatoes, onion, celery and torn arugula. Pour over the dressing and gently toss. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Waxy potatoes have a better texture for salads, as they won’t fall apart in the dressing.
- Use basil or baby spinach in place of the arugula, or a combination of half and half is also delicious.
Featured image via KitchenAid